Grow

Mantras for the New Year

“Learn Grow Teach Go” is somewhat of a life mantra for me, which is why, after launching my site this year, I’ve noticed some wonderful changes about myself. Each time I write a post for “Learn Grow Teach Go” I pause or emphasize a new word in the mantra. When I think of the word “learn,” I ask myself what I have been learning lately that I can share with others. Similarly, “grow” challenges me to keep growing as a person, cultivating my talents, focusing on my health, and even addressing the spiritual side of me. “Teach” stems from my love of teaching English and Spanish and also “teaching” or assisting other teachers as we all continue to learn ways to best reach our kids. And so much can be summed up in “go.” “Go” challenges me to go new places, to try new things, and to live boldly and courageously. These “mantras” are mine for life, and in the few short months that I’ve been focusing on these words to produce material for this blog, I’ve seen my life and self-image change immensely. For this reason, I’ve created New Year’s “Mantras” for 2018. Just as with blogging, these mantras will help me see the big-picture and challenge myself to find new and creative ways to live out each one. I’ve always been a “big-picture” person, so now I see that my specific, grueling resolutions of the past never lasted long because repetition of a task, even if it is a beneficial task, means nothing to me after a while if I don’t have a way to keep the big picture in mind.

Here are my New Year’s Mantras for 2018. Check them out, and feel free to download a copy of your own at the end of this post!

“Dream a little. Live a lot.” These phrases sort of run together when I look at them on my page. They came to mind right away, which tells me something about myself. In 2018, I want to continue to pursue dreams that I perhaps once thought were silly or unnecessary. And I want to be sure to live out those dreams in any way possible.

“Cherish each day.” A lot has happened in the last year to remind me that our time is limited, and you never know when you or a loved one will pass. I intend to make each day count in 2018. Again, there are numerous ways to make this possible. I can call my loved ones more, send texts when I think of a dear friend, make more time for those closest to me, be intentional in conversations with my spouse, etc.

“Express Gratitude.” Along with cherishing each day naturally comes expressing gratitude. My absolute favorite time of the year is September-December, as the season changes and we start looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s blissful to be reminded of all I have to be thankful for, and I’d like to carry out that feeling for the other 9 months of the year. Expressing gratitude can be done through gratitude journals, notes/cards to others, or prayers and meditation.

“Be present.” Being present is important to me because I am a day-dreamer and someone whose mind is constantly at work. The mantra “be present” reminds me to take time to make memories now instead of always looking forward to new ones in the future.

“Value well-being.” Yes, I have health goals too for the new year, but they look much different than they have in the past. Though I do need to lose a decent amount of weight, I’m not setting number goals here. Number goals don’t work out for me because they are not the big-picture. The big-picture is being healthy and, more importantly, being happy. By referencing this mantra, I can remind myself why I want to lose weight, eat less sugar, drink more water, exercise more often, etc.

“Love Unconditionally.” I’m a newly wed, and marriage is tough sometimes. I also teach over a hundred freshmen in high school. My husband, my students, my coworkers, my friends, and my family all make mistakes sometimes. As one of my mantras for the new year, I’d like to remind myself to love unconditionally, to show grace, and to forgive.

“Smile.” Yes, sometimes I have to remind myself to smile. This simple word goes along with “cherishing each day,” “expressing gratitude,” and “being present,” but it’s a mantra I can practice instantaneously and feel immediate benefits from. I can smile at others, smile at myself in the mirror, and just smile when I’m living my life each day.

Beside each mantra, I described to you my personal inspiration for choosing these words/phrases, along with some examples of how I intend to make changes in my life to better live out these concepts. Below you’ll find a PDF file where you can print out a pretty copy of these mantras to hang in a spot where you’ll be reminded of them. You’ll also find a page for reflecting, in which you can write down one concrete way you plan to live out each mantra.

New Year’s Mantras

What are your goals for the year? Which mantra stands out to you the most, or maybe you have another mantra to share? Comment below!

Happy New Year, friends!

Rachel

Author: Rachel

Welcome to Learn-Grow-Teach-Go! I’m Rachel. Join me as I explore what it means to be a life-long learner and begin to live out a more full, balanced, and simplistic lifestyle. I am currently a high school English teacher, and I enjoy traveling the world and adventuring in my spare time. Whether you’re looking for advice on living minimally and simplistically, teaching ideas and lessons, or travel tips and trips, you’ve found the right place. Glad to have you here!

Please follow and like us at:

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

Julie Plagens
    January 3, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. The goals you have for the year are some of the same ones I have. I am practicing gratitude, too.
    Always good to be present and grateful for what we already have.

Jordan Clapp
    January 12, 2018 at 6:45 pm

Love these, Rachel! I too am one who likes a visual reminder of my goals and intentions. It keeps me going on the says that aren’t all sunshine. <3

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 15, 2018 at 11:45 am

Thanks, Jordan! I have really been enjoying the simplicity of my small mantra poster. It does brighten up those rough days. 🙂

Nina
    January 15, 2018 at 5:17 pm

My mantra this year seems to be to focus on my goals. There are some things I really want and I just have to stay focused. I love the one you have about being present. I could really work on being more present myself.

Cassie
    January 15, 2018 at 8:52 pm

These are great mantras to live by! My favorite one and the one I plan to work on most this year is being present. I get so caught up with life sometimes I forgot to live in the moment. Thanks for sharing these, they are very motivating

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Being more present is the one that I feel most people really relate to right now. It’s a tricky one in this day in age!

Aduke Schulist
    January 15, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I need to write some of these down. I end up forgetting them as the days/weeks go by.

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:31 pm

One reason I made a printable PDF is so that all I had to do was print it and hang it up! I hung mine near my desk at work. Do what works best for you!

Dee Jackson
    January 16, 2018 at 4:36 am

I love all these mantras. One of mine is never give up never surrender. Do it all with a smile

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I love “Do it all with a smile!” That’s perfect! I’m sharing that with my students tomorrow. 🙂

Kendra W.
    January 16, 2018 at 11:10 am

Cherish each day is definitely the one that stands out the most to me. You can’t begin to do any of the others if you don’t wake up to see a new day. I’m always thankful to wake up in the morning!

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Beautifully said. Thank you!

Curlywhippedtee
    January 16, 2018 at 11:23 am

This was a great read. Great inspiration for daily life.

Siti Aana
    January 16, 2018 at 1:53 pm

My mantra this year is to be more organized and declutter my life n my mind. Great write up!

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Wow, I definitely want to add that to the list! I have been working so hard on decluttering. I hope to be clutter-free by the time we move from our apartment to our new home this May!

Christina
    January 16, 2018 at 1:54 pm

These are all great mantras for 2018! I really like the one about being present because that is so important.

Sarah Bailey
    January 16, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I love this – I have been trying to work with manta’s more and more, I know they can be a bit help. I have a set of cards I pick one from every day. Next year I may just have to pick my own new years mantras.

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm

It’s never too late to start this year! 😉

Terri
    January 16, 2018 at 2:40 pm

I really have to make some goals. I want to just use yours, lol. I love each and every one of these, and I need to live a lot more than I do.

• Rachel
      Rachel
      January 16, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Hey, that’s why I made a free printable! Use them if they speak to you! <3

Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
    January 16, 2018 at 7:23 pm

What a great way to start the year off!! I never thought of doing this 🙂

Anchal
    January 17, 2018 at 2:18 am

This is an amazing way to start the new year. These are so great

fashionmommy
    January 17, 2018 at 2:49 pm

I love dream a little, live a lot because I think we are all guilty of spending time thinking about what we are going to do, rather than actually doing it. My new mantra I think.